Monday, August 13, 2012

The wedding


A few weekends ago now I made a return trip to SF for the wedding of Julia and DJ. Having never been to an American wedding I didn’t quite know what to expect. When Jules and I lived in the UK she often waxed lyrical about this wedding (not that she knew DJ at this stage). There was to be an entrance in a pink Cadillac, an orchestra (possibly that was an embellishment from my mind) and a giant white meringue style gown. I was slightly trepidatious about the formality of it all. For a start I only brought one dress over to the US with me that would be suitable for a wedding, and not a hugely formal one at that. Oh well, thats the beauty of existing out of 2 suitcases worth, I didn’t have to spend any energy deciding what to wear. I also only have one pair of heels here and in a moment of uncharacteristic foresight I must have considered the remote possibility of needing to tart up (I didn’t know about the wedding before I left) because they matched! However, my concerns about pink cars and pavlova style gowns abated as soon as I arrived in SF and realised this was to be one very cool wedding.

Events kicked off on the Thursday night with an evening of distilled spirit tasting for the out of towners. It was fantastic to catch up with my mate from the UK, Simon, whom Jules and I met while travelling through Africa and some of Julia and DJ’s friends who had flown in from far more glamorous corners of the US than Oklahoma. My current address drew many responses of “oh, I’m sorry, how is that going?” or “Hmm, I’ve never been there”. Ah, the easy assurance of knowing that California is not a bad place to be!

Anyway, back to the spirit tasting. Not something I had attempted before. Prepaid, so no chickening out.  15 spirits in a row, starting with vodkas, then gin, then something I had never heard of, can’t now remember the name of but thoroughly enjoyed, then whisky, bourbon and finishing with absinthe. See just like wine tasting – starting light and easy (sav blanc – frankly I think sav blanc and vodka are equally nasty) and finishing dark and alcoholic (port) with everyone buying bottles of things they wouldn’t necessarily like the next day! Luckily for me I was doing carry-on luggage for the weekend so the 100ml rule saved my wallet and liver.

Next day Simon and I hauled ourselves into the city and cycled along the waterfront and over the Golden Gate which was fantastic. Such a better way to see the bridge than what Jude and I did years ago which was walk from Union Square over the bridge to Sausalito (yes many hours and blisters worth). Well, we were younger then so maybe it didn’t seem like such a trek at the time, I can’t remember. That evening was the rehearsal dinner which we were kindly invited to. Fantastic Vietnamese at a restaurant owned by a friend of theirs right on the water. And another opportunity to meet more of their many lovely friends.


Next day, the wedding – such fun. Not a meringue or pink car in sight. Stunning location on the bay looking at the sun setting over the SF city skyline, one of their oldest friends as their celebrant (yes he became a reverend online thanks to a church in Utah), beautiful speeches during the service and a sunny day. They are a couple who have so many people who care deeply about them. Getting to the reception involved turning around and walking into a aircraft hangar turned winery bedecked with lanterns, a trapeze (yes supper club came to the wedding...) and a sterling dancefloor. Soon we were stood about with our personalised pitchers filled with their signature cocktails munching on sliders, watching the sun set over the city before eating the most unusual but ideal wedding meal ever. Make your own burgers and fries from a food van parked in the doorway of the hangar. Capped off with ice cream sandwiches for dessert. Heaven!


I feel really lucky to have been over here at the time of their wedding and to have been lucky enough to be invited. Thank you Jules and DJ!
PS This is me and Simon with the bride (groom was the unfortunate focus of some kegging (head first into a keg) at this stage)!

No comments:

Post a Comment