Wednesday, September 12, 2012

My most recent escape....


As I sit here on the flight back to Oklahoma after a glorious week in New York and Boston I have to admit to suffering a little ‘Sunday-itis’! Following a week of fantastic meals, family time and then a stimulating conference that renewed my enthusiasm for research, I can’t help but give a little inner sigh at the prospect of returning to limp produce and the endless screaming neon signs of the multitude of fast food establishments that populate Stillwater. But, on the positive side, I ate so much in the past week I will have no need to consume either fast food or rotting vegetables!
The Little Rascal (not Fe...)

It is not often you go on a trip and fail to eat a bad meal. Every place we ended up eating in NY, either through careful research and planning or simple convenience, was fantastic. The only possible exception was a NY ‘institution’ that may have finally succumbed to the tourist dollar and taken the ‘New York attitude’ a touch too far. Luckily, you can’t go too far wrong with pizza and salad.
Jacques in Soho


It is amazing how much you can achieve in 5 days. Both Mum and Fe were new to NY so had free reign over choosing the activities. Day one involved Times Square, a few cathedrals, 5th Ave (numerous famous building sighted), lunch at the Shake Shack, Staten Is ferry and the green lady, 9/11 memorial and a great Mediterranean dinner (naturally with champagne). I think poor Mum was wondering if she should have packed a scooter after all that walking. Each day was similarly filled with NY wonders and I hope they both felt they have seen a good chunk of the city. For me it was an opportunity to go back and re-do some of my favourite things and also have some new experiences. In particular, looking down into the depths of the 2 large square foundations of the WTC was definitely a different experience to craning my neck skywards to glimpse the tops of the buildings 12 years ago. The Met was a firm favourite of ours and was flanked by the best French toast of all time (not in the museum but on the upper east side) and Central Park in the rain.
 


View from Brooklyn Heights Esplanade


From NY I flew to Boston for an equine endocrinology summit that was in a gorgeous luxury hotel in the Beacon Hill area of the city. The summit program was fairly packed but I did get out a few times for a cycle along the river and a couple of walks through the city and gardens. I think I could definitely live there – an inviting and easy to negotiate city. Yet more amazing food and wine was consumed. Poor me!!

Well, as I wing my way closer to the mid (wild) west I am grateful for the disparate experiences that this time in the US is giving me. Lots of interesting people to meet and places to see. And another reason to be excited about heading back to OK – the summer heat wave (that lasted 4 months!) must be declining and fall is arriving. Cooler temps and pretty colours will be a seasonal experience unique to this part of the world. I just have to survive a brief return to tornado season first.......

No comments:

Post a Comment